Monday, May 7, 2012

Running With Physics: An Introduction to Motion

Module 9: Exploring Creation with Physical Science

This week, I decided to give you kind of a script of how I plan to teach the concepts of motion to my 9th, 6th, 4th and K4 kids all at once.

This lesson begins outdoors. Get everyone to a place where they can run. Have a starting line marked off.

Okay everybody hold still. Look at me. Am I moving? How do you know? How can you tell? (It doesn't matter whether they say you are moving, or aren't moving. What you want from them is how they know you are or aren't moving.) You can tell I moved because my position changed. I used to be over here, and now I'm over there. MOTION is change in position over time.


In order to know what our change is, we have to have a REFERENCE POINT. Something that appears not to change it's position. When I compare myself to that point, I can tell whether or not I've moved.  For us, the REFERENCE POINT is this starting line. If I want to know how far I've run, I need to know where the starting point, my reference point is. How  far I run is relative to my starting point, my reference point. Let's have a little race. We are all going to run for 5 seconds. Everyone needs to start at the starting line, but I don't want anyone to run the same direction.  (Have a 5 second race. Measure how far everyone has run. Make sure everyone writes down their distances.)

Now with the information we have, we can figure out your AVERAGE SPEED- the average of how fast you were  going for the time that you ran. (Of course, the K4 won't get this. But he will like to know how fast he ran.). But from that information, can you tell where you ran to? No. To figure that out, you need to have direction.

Everybody back to the starting line. This time we are all going to run the same way.  From my compass, I can tell that the direction we are running is _______. (If you don't have a compass, give a good guess using the sun's position for guidance.). (Run the race again. Record everyone's distances, time and direction.)
With this information we can tell where we ran. That is VELOCITY. VELOCITY = speed plus direction.

Let's go inside and figure out our average speed and velocity.

RESOURCES:


Worksheet to go with Average Speed and Velocity activity


.

Good explanation of motion, speed, velocity, displacement and acceleration.


No comments:

Post a Comment